Tuesday, March 31, 2009

When Work Ethic Fails.

I meant to write this paper yesterday, I truly did. But then I didn't feel well, and I slept all afternoon. And then at night I had to concentrate on preparing for my Research Methods presentation (went okay, by the way). So here I am at almost two am, pulling my first and last all-nighter of my college career. The facts of the case are as follows: I have a 20 page paper due at 9:55 am, but I have class at 8:15, so this needs to be done by 7:45 so I can head over to the library to print it, then get coffee so I can survive the three+ hours of class before my two hour break. I've known about this paper all term. In fact, it was due last week, but me and a few classmates complained to our professor that last week was too busy, so he extended the deadline until tomorrow. Do I take advantage of this and get ahead? No. Instead, I'm in the same boat as I would have been Wednesday night, had the paper not been extended. This might be the live and learn experience that I have needed for the last four years. I'm a major procrastinator, mainly because I think I have ADHD and have a really hard time focusing on something that isn't due the next day. I write every paper the night before it is due, and I have never not finished or gotten anything less than a B on a paper. And I've never had to pull an all-nighter before tonight, which is impressive, as I am a second semester senior. I think the latest I've had to stay up has been 3:30, which was Term II of my sophomore year, when every single term paper was literally due on the same day. The good news is that I started this at ten (I had club meetings and other work to do) and I'm on page 11. This means it's going fast. I'm currently taking a break, but I have the rest of the paper laid out in my mind, so it should be pretty smooth sailing from here on out, and I may even get a nap in.



So you may all be saying "Heather, you have 6 hours to write 9 pages. Why are you updating your blog?" Honestly, because this night sucks, and I need to do something to make it fun. Obviously, Kayleigh pulls all-nighters all of the time, but not tonight, so I'm lonely (plus, apparently she's decided to take up snoring, which she never does). I'm entertaing myself, so enjoy some silly pictures I've been taking to procrastinate even more.

Yawn.

Dear computer, I know you hate me and like to crap out on me. Thank you for not doing so this week. It would have been tragic. For that, I love you and I owe you.

This is my "Epic All-Nighter" Playlist. I don't know how I would make it through my life without iTunes. Music keeps me focused. I've got a good amount of upbeat songs to keep me going.
I also made sure to stock up on Mountain Dew. I honestly prefer the taste of coffee, but that requires effort, and I'm funneling all of my effort into this paper.

So anyway, here I go...

No comments: