Monday, March 9, 2009

Fellow Theatre Geeks, Listen Up.

Okay, first of all, I am beyond excited for the revival of Hair. It's a pretty good show with an amazing score (The Flesh Failures is probably one of the greatest MT songs ever written). With the recent closing of my two favorite shows, I've needed a show to follow, and I've been following this production since Shakespeare in the Park this summer, and was so bummed that it got rained out once, and it happened to be the day I tried to go. I've heard this production is amazing, tickets are relatively cheap, and there's a lottery. Awesome. Not to mention I adore Gavin Creel, so I can't wait to meet him, even though I was initially bummed to hear that Jon Groff, one my (gay) Broadway boyfriends and Claude from the SITP production, would not be transferring with the show. I really hope that April 4th works out. I've needed to get back to the city pretty much since I left, and that would be perfect-Hair matinee and Bishop Allen in Williamsburg. Perfect.



That being said, fellow theatre people, if I have to hear one more time about how "relevant" Hair is to today's society, I might just have to punch something. Sure, there are a number of themes that do parallel what is happening today. However, Vietnam does not equal Iraq, for one major, major reason. In the 1960s and 1970s, there was a draft. Today, there isn't one. This may seem like a minor difference, but it isn't, when you think about it. Those who were drafted did not have the option to join the military. They were forced to fight a war that many of them did not support. Sure, the Iraq War is unpopular and Bush may have used false intelligence in justifying the invasion, but everyone fighting that war voluntarily joined the military, knowing full well that there was the chance that they would get sent over there. Major difference. So, like I said, I love Hair, but if I have to hear that one more time, there's going to be an issue.

Furthermore, what is wrong with me, health-wise? I don't like hearing "if you feel any worse tonight, go to the emergency room." AWESOME. I have time for that. Right now, I'm feeling okay as long as I'm lying down. Anytime I sit or stand up, it becomes an issue. This isn't a problem in terms of doing my homework, because tonight I only have to read. The problem is that my throat is scratchy and I could really use some tea, but I'm scared to walk over to get it.

Oh well, I have an appointment with the NP at noon tomorrow, so hopefully they can figure something out and make me better :/

No comments: