Thursday, September 24, 2009

Wow.

Can't believe I'm saying this...

Thank you, Jon Stewart, for actually calling out everyone who went to the UN conference on the environment for going to the conference in massive motorcades of SUVs and private jets and helicopters.

This is my problem with the environmental movement right now. I care about the environment. A lot, actually. I live a relatively green lifestyle (although a lot of that is because of necessity, but what matters more, the motivation or the results?), and I do think that humans are perpetuating global warming, and I think it's relatively naive not to. But the blatant hypocrisy of some of the leaders of the movement drive me insane. Don't tell me I should cut back on driving my tiny Escort that is great on gas mileage as you go to your campaign events in jets and motorcades with three or four SUVs. I'm looking at you, Al Gore. I mean, practice what you preach.

Also, finally saw Kiril again. Someone tipped me off regarding his schedule for the upcoming week, and by some miraculous stroke of luck that I won't even begin to try to understand, I was able to get a cheap ticket at the last minute. And it was well worth it. As someone on Broadway World said "the role of Billy has seldom been performed better and has NEVER been danced better." This kid is a genius. He's obviously too old for the role now (hence the fact that he's leaving next weekend), and it shows. His voice has gotten deep and he towers over half of the cast. This means that he struggles with the score a little bit, because it was written for a boy who is prepubescent, not going through puberty. But his acting, particularly his scenes with his mother, is breathtaking, and his dancing moves me to tears. This kid is a splendid dancer who has been offered scholarships to ballet schools in New York, London, and Paris, as well as offers to tour with a number of ballet companies (personally, I'm pulling for ABT in New York). He told me last night he doesn't know what he's doing next yet, but I really hope it's something that is either here or stops here, because I would go and see him dance in anything. And I was about to ask him if he thought he'd ever do Broadway again, but some jackass totally interrupted me, which obviously pissed me off because I'm pretty shy at stage doors and it takes me a lot to actually talk to them, and Kiril is SUPER shy and not the easiest person to have a conversation with. He's always very happy and gracious and willing to sign anything and take pictures, but he's just very quiet. He mostly walks down the line with a huge grin on his face and says "hi...thank you...hi....thank you." And the funny thing is that David Alvarez, one of the other Billys, makes him look outgoing. Bologna is easy to talk to, Tommy Batchelor is easy to talk to, and Trent is a little shy but more outgoing than Kiril. So the fact that I was actually having a conversation with him was huge. Jackass.

My issue with Kiril is that I always look like shit in our pictures together. Tommy and I take good pictures, Trent and I take good pictures, Bologna and I take good pictures. Kiril and I...not so much. I think the problem is that he's just such a cutie that he makes everyone else look bad. That, and the angle on this is REALLY bad. At least I didn't cut off his eye, like I did with Trent. Oh well. I'll be at his last show, so hopefully the stage door won't be crazy (or I can run out quickly after curtain call and still get a good spot). I'm relatively optimistic. There will be a lot more fans there than on a typical weeknight since he's the first of the three original Billys to leave, but the Billy Elliot stage door is usually only crazy after matinees, when there are a lot of kids there. Unlike shows like Next to Normal and Spring Awakening, BE lacks big names and attractive men, haha. So yeah, we'll try this again then. I'm sad he's leaving. He'll be missed. Mostly by me.

No comments: