Thursday, September 10, 2009

Each time you smile, it'll only last awhile...


Avenue Q is closing on Sunday, and since I won't be at my computer then, I wanted to say my goodbyes now, so to one of my Top 5 shows, I'll miss you. We had a short relationship, but a good, intense one, and I'll look back fondly on our memories.

I mean, it's a show I relate to, because the characters are at the same place in their lives that I am at. And I also relate to it because of where I live. I really think this show was based on my neighborhood. The set looks similar, the setting is an "outer borough," it's supposed to be kind of a sketchy area, and the streets around these parts are labeled by letters. And even if it isn't based on my neighborhood, there are a lot of similarities.

It's also given us some of the funniest songs in musical theater. "Everyone's a Little Bit Racist," "I'm Not Wearing Underwear Today," "If You Were Gay," "My Girlfriend Who Lives in Canada," and "The Internet is For Porn" all come to mind. The titles of those songs alone are enough to make me laugh, and the content is even more funny.

And let's talk about originality. The characters are puppets, for Christ's sake, and their super is Gary Coleman. Played by a woman. That shit is unparalleled. And this show beat WICKED at the Tony's, which no one saw coming. Five years later, Wicked is still the hottest ticket on Broadway. It's pretty damn impressive that this little show with a small cast and minimal running cost was enough to beat it.

So, in closing...
Nothing lasts, life goes on
Full of surprises
You'll be faced with problems of all shapes and sizes
You're going to have to make a few compromises
For now.
But only for now.
For now we're healthy
For now we're employed
For now we're happy
If not overjoyed
And we'll accept the things we cannot avoid
For now.
But only for now.
...everything in life is only for now.

No comments: