Thursday, February 12, 2009

...deep breath.

So, my midterm filled day of fun didn't start off on the right foot, as I woke up at 7:45 for my 8:15 class, which does not equal enough time to shower, at all. So I brushed my teeth, washed my face, threw on jeans, a sweatshirt, and spritzed myself with body spray, than ran over to midterm number one.

I did okay. It took me about fifteen minutes to gather my thoughts for it, but we had an hour and a half and Dr. Mitchell said that this exam usually only takes people an hour. I was done at 9:20. Not enough time to shower before Law at 9:55, but enough time for a bagel and a latte (aka carbs and caffeine...both necessary on days like this). But I think it turned out pretty well. It was an in-class essay and open text, so that helps.

So Law and the Courts rolls around. We're not allowed to volunteer answers anymore, so my new strategy is to stare Twombly down when he's trying to decide who to call on if I know the answer. This strategy worked today, and I managed to pull out some strange, random Constitutional concept that I didn't even know I knew. One point, me. And also, Jeremy told me that my INS v. Chadha brief was very helpful to him today. So that was good, because I would hate to screw over my group members.

Then I studied for midterm number two. Then I had my meeting with Dr. Shephard at 1 so we could go over Senior Seminar stuff. He said I was on track and my topic is compelling and researchable, so that was good.

I've been studying ever since. This is my halfway ten-minute break. I will soon be eating Easy Mac and studying the post-1066 English monarchs. Fun times. Actually, I hate my history major. But I realized while studying that I know more than I thought I did. I might be okay? And if not, at least I'm good at making things up. I mean, I got a 10/12 on a pop quiz when honestly (sorry, Dad) I hadn't even touched the textbook the night before, because I was sick. So I might be able to do this exam. I just feel bad because this class has not been my priority at all this term.

So basically, this exam is at 3:20 and will end by 4:50. And then it's basically break. I have four problems to do for Research Methods tomorrow, and that is it, so since I have to tutor tonight and no one will come (best. job. ever.), I can probably get ahead on stuff that's due after break, like On the Road.

The other good news? First draft of my personal statement? Done. Updated resume? Done. Dr. Twombly has the necessary stuff for my first recommendation. I'm meeting with Dr. Mitchell tomorrow morning. I highly doubt he wouldn't do it. I mean, I essentially skipped one of his classes once because I felt sad, and I told him I just needed a personal day, and he told me that I had earned enough credibility points with him to do that, which leads me to believe he respects me as a student. So that should be done by tomorrow. Those are the important two, as CUNY Brooklyn only requires two, and that application is due March 1st, and the others aren't due until March 15, so I can deal with the third one after break, once I figure out who is writing the third one, haha. So I'm finally on track with grad school stuff.

Also, Dr. Twombly might be doing research Term III, and he wants me to help him as my internship, so that will be good.

I think things might be starting to look up.

No comments: