Unless you move to Boston and bail on me :-) Even so, Kayleigh, we'll find a way to make this year our best yet.
So, 2008: A Review
January:
things I did:
-lots of guitar hero
-Relay, and the inspiration to speak next time
-kick ass Manhattan in a day NYC trip
-Induction into my first honor society.
things I fell in love with:
-the East Village
things I learned:
-this was my first experience with the NYC subway system...we did okay.
February:
things I did:
-FLORIDA!
things I fell in love with:
-Nick and Norah's Infinite Playlist
-Juno
-Punk music
-Indie music
things I learned:
-Despite the fact that kids are cute, putting a ton of them in one place (aka Disney World) is too much for me :-)
-I need to wear Chuck Taylor's every day. For realsies.
-Mitt Romney, despite his concession, should be president.
-Phoebe Strole used to believe in the Valentine's Day fairy, despite the fact that "there is no such thing in any mythology or folklore"
-No one in the Spring Awakening cast is like "Valentine's DAY! RED AND WHITE LIGHTS! Let's go do the Valentine's Day...event...thing."
-Blake Daniel isn't lonely, he's just...alone. Good news for me, even though at the time I didn't love him.
March:
things I did:
-BRUCE SPRINGSTEEN CONCERT: the first one
-NYC: Spring Awakening and RENT in one day
things I fell in love with:
-Bruce Springsteen, all over again
-BLAKE DANIEL
-Adam Kantor (Mark in RENT)
things I learned:
-Driving in a massive blizzard despite protests from my family for a Springsteen concert is in fact worth it.
-Blake Daniel is the epitome of the perfect man, looks, voice, and style-wise (hey, those Chucks, skinny jeans, scarves, and messenger bags are a good look for him), and one of these days, we will get married.
-Despite popular opinion, Lea Michele is a real sweetheart at the stagedoor. Not contrary to popular opinion, Jonathan B. Wright is creepy.
-The end of March does not mean the end of cold weather, so bundle up when you're spending three hours sitting on the sidewalk in NYC.
April
things I did:
-Matty turned three. That made me feel old.
-NYC again...SA matinee and Jesse Malin concert
things I fell in love with:
-Matt Doyle, who was just as awesome as everyone said.
-The Orion Experience
-Holly Brook
-The Bowery Ballroom and the lower Manhattan music scene
things I learned:
-The play group is every bit as crazy as I had heard
-Jesse Malin puts on a really kick ass show, but next time, a 24 hour parking garage would be better.
-The lead singer of the Orion Experience is actually named Orion. Weird.
-Jamie is prettier than me.
-"Oh, Heather, you're a wit."
-Blake Daniel is cuddly in pictures. I like that.
-All the good guys are either gay (or not) or crazy, which I learned from a crying, drunken conversation with Kayleigh.
-Post-concert withdrawal is deadly.
May:
things I did:
-Ryan's graduation
-The end of school
things I fell in love with:
-Um, not much, actually...I don't even remember May
-The "your mom" sign!
-Oh, and sexy man from my class...lolz at that.
things I learned:
-I really do hate science classes.
-I am able to navigate airports completely by myself.
-I'm very proud of my brother.
-I want my Ph.D, and I want to teach...that was important.
June:
things I did:
-got teeth pulled
-played with Matthew
-Last summer registration.
things I fell in love with:
-Our skit from the OL cabaret!
-TGO
things I learned:
-The extraction of wisdom teeth sucks balls.
-Oxycotin makes me puke.
-I will miss doing orientation.
July:
things I did:
-Luke was born. Nothing else is worth mentioning in comparison to that.
things I fell in love with:
-Luke Couser Corriveau
things I learned
-I have not one, but two kick ass nephews, and both of them are the cutest boys in the world.
-Matthew is a fantastic big brother
-If my food gets thrown in the woods, it will be eaten by bears...just like Captain.
August:
things I did:
-BRUCE SPRINGSTEEN!
-turned 21, which led to...
-drank a lot
-NYC: SA onstage, Hair...first overnight trip
-back to school
things I fell in love with:
-The Niagra Bar
-Rum and coke
-Luke, even more.
-NYC, even more
-SA onstage seats.
-Hunter Parrish, Alexandra Socha
things I learned:
-sitting next to Blake is absolutely amazing, but almost a bit uncomfortable (do i smell? am i chewing my gum too loudly? oh my god, we just bumped elbows!)
-the replacement cast of SA is just as good as the OBC
-Blake Daniel truly is the love of my life, though he probably things I stalk him
-NYC in the rain: problem!
-It kind of sucks to sit in line for something all day, only to have it get rained out, but Jonathan Groff loves me, and I love him too.
-The amount of tears I expected to cry during our senior song? Multiply that by fifty million (however, led to my first ever hug from someone)
-I can plan a weekend in NYC completely alone.
-Being on the floor at a Springsteen concert is a completely different experience from being in the back.
-I will choose Bruce Springsteen over celebrating my birthday with my family. It doesn't mean I don't love them.
-Yeah, post-concert withdrawal is a terrible, terrible thing.
September:
things I did:
-started senior year off with a bang
-Mountain Day singing
things I fell in love with:
-Hamlet 2
things I learned:
-Maybe I can get over my gay crush! (we all see how that turned out)
-People avoid Myra Glenn classes for a reason
-I really love Ithaca
-I also really love the Branch
-I will miss Mountain Day singing...however, the '11s cannot handle losing.
-sometimes I sell myself short
October:
things I did:
-Parent's Weekend: senior reception, ODK induction
-Campaigning
-Winner/Tonello debate
-HOME!
things I fell in love with:
-my nephews all over again, as I do every time I see them when it's been awhile
things I learned:
-Driving with Dr. Powers is not fun at all
-John Tonello is a bag of douche.
-So is Sam Katz.
-I'm head over hells and can't do anything to fix it.
-I could run a better campaign than everyone in the Chemung County Republican Committee, the Steuben County Republican Committee, and John McCain
-Republicans are racist and KKK members.
November:
things I did:
-NYC with Jamie: SA onstage
-Thanksgiving at Shaz's.
-Thanksgiving at Dad's.
-Thanksgiving at Ryan's.
-Laying in the snow with Jeremy for hours.
-A lot of bitching and whining.
things I fell in love with:
-laying in the snow
-Turkey
things I learned:
-I hate November.
-I love turkey, and it never gets old.
-I have another person that will listen to me and support me when I need it, and I'm thankful for that.
-I can't afford NYU, but CUNY Brooklyn excites me.
-Dear God, Americans are idiots.
-Starbucks, despite my contempt for them, is the perfect place to get out of the rain, especially on free sample day.
December
things I did:
-I had my first damage-causing car accident.
-Christmas
-Hanging with the nephews.
-Holiday weekend amazingness.
-Christmas present exchange at 1 am.
things I fell in love with:
-The most perfect dress and shoes in the world.
-My christmas presents, especially my mug.
-The combination of Lauren and Shazib.
-Ferrario Ford
-TWILIGHT! But that's a secret.
-The new computer and ipod, even though I haven't gotten them yet
-An animal big rig
-New York and Co.
things I learned:
-maybe someone isn't as gay as we all thought?
-just because a book is terribly written does not mean it is all bad.
-having kids around makes the holidays better
Things to look forward to in 2009:
The release of Nick and Norah's Infinite Playlist to DVD, Bruce Springsteen's new album and subsequent tour, the closing performance of Spring Awakening (I don't want it to come, but it is going to be so amazing), the revivals of Hair and Guys and Dolls, the release of RENT: Filmed Live on Broadway, New Moon (even though it's my least favorite of the books), getting into grad school, moving to NYC, having my own apartment, the NYC music and theater scene, dating Blake Daniel, making new friends (and hopefully keeping the ones I have), getting even closer with my nephews, going to Spain...
In all honesty, New Year's usually makes me happy because usually my years are shitty and I look forward to the promise of a new year being better, but this year was actually really good. I accomplished a lot, I did a lot of fun things, I've achieved all of my life goals (sans the presidency/supreme court thing), and sometimes I worry if this is it-as good as it's going to get. But then I remember that I'm 21 and I have the whole world at my feet right now, and I'm approaching an exciting (albeit terrifying) time in my life, and I have a lot to learn, and a lot to look forward too.
Resolutions (maybe I'm not so perfect)
- Do not ruin my GPA during my last 2 terms.
- I really need to lose weight.
- I really need to stop procrastinating.
- Get out of bed with enough time to shower and do my hair each day.
- Do all of my reading for class.
- After graduation, work on staying in contact with my friends.
- Continue to be awesome
No comments:
Post a Comment