Thursday, November 6, 2008

"Americans never quit. We never surrender."-JM

Michelle Obama once said that this was the first time she's proud to be an American. I, on the other hand, have always been proud to be an American. Until now.

Yesterday our country elected the worst candidate that has ever been on the ballot. This man has absolutely no experience and no knowledge of foreign policy and how things work on the international level, particularly in regards to the Middle East. Out of Iraq in 18 months, really? Yeah, sounds like a plan. But let's look at unintended consequences. First of all, the country and its leadership will completely fall apart, paving the way for Iran to come in, take over, and establish a theocracy that is completely hostile to the United States. Then, our credibilty and status in the international community will plummet, making our relations with other countries even worse than they are. Not to mention he has absolutely no handle on illegal immigration, health care, or economics. Sure, everyone in the North is all for illegal immigration, but once you start asking people on the border who have to deal with it in their every day lives, you realize it's not so popular. And I hope we're all happy about the path to socialism. Sure, socialism in it's purest form, on paper, sounds really appealing, but it doesn't work on a large scale. Furthermore, I believe that everyone who works hard for their money deserves to keep it, and shouldn't have to provide for people who don't want to work. And I can pretty much kiss my prospects of grad school goodbye, because affirmative action is going to get out of control. Al-qaeda is probably orgasming right now, which is just fantastic. Our country is going in a direction that I absolutely abhor, and I'm scared to see what is going to happen in the next four years.

That being said, Obama is going to fuck this up so badly that it will give Republicans a chance to regroup, get our priorities in line, and ultimately, we will come out of this with a vengence. We will have a Democratic administration under Obama for four years. After that, our party will rise again. As my state senator George Winner said in his victory speech last night "we're going to have some tough times ahead of us, but Republicans can hold their heads high." I'm trying to do that right now, but I'm still in my funk.

If one more person tells me I'm taking this too seriously, they're going to get punted. I'm sorry that I take the future of my country seriously, and I'm sorry that I see the mistake you've all made. Sure, I've been pissed at my party lately too, but I had enough common sense to realize that this is not the time to stick it to them. There's way too much at stake. And I don't find this election a laughing matter, and if McCain had won, I wouldn't be rubbing it in my Democratic friends' faces, so everyone can shut the fuck up and kiss my ass. My friend Lauren said last night that this has made her more conservative and more religious. That may not be true for me, but it's made me angrier and more hostile, and I'm not an angry or hostile person. I did make it onto the news last night, watching results come in at headquarters. Most people who saw it have said "you looked awfully grim," and Kayleigh (who knows me better than anyone) said "you had the 'Heather Look of Disapproval' on your face." Well, yeah. I was watching my country implode.

Frankly, this makes me sick. A friend of mine told me that they voted for Obama because they feel he has the voice to bring our country together. Great, so did Hitler. Blindly following a leader because what they said sounds good is a very dangerous thing. Obama speaks a lot, and he speaks well, and he says words that appeal to the American people like "hope" and "change," but there's absolutely nothing of any substance that he says. To quote that Flobots song, "I can rule a nation with a microphone...I can end the world in a Holocaust." Obama's rhetoric is not going to work in diplomatic relations, and he's going to get completely pounded. Things aren't going to be all flowers, rainbows, and puppies on January 21st. We have a long road ahead of us, and I wouldn't follow Barack Obama out of my front door, let alone down this road. Hopefully, this is just a minor bend, and we will be on the right track soon enough.

...Romney 2012?

No comments: