Tuesday, August 19, 2008

Hell I Still Love You, New York

Before I begin this epic blog, can I just say that the word "veepstakes" makes me want to punch people? Ugh. Seriously. I abhor that word.

NOW I CAN LEGALLY DO WHAT I'VE BEEN DOING FOR 7 YEARS
My birthday was freaking fantastic. I spent the first 1/2 of August 9th playing cars and swingset. Always fun :D I do love my nephews. The girls (or as Matthew would say, "pretty cool guys") came and we ate some food. And then we had some cake, and Matthew gave me a beautiful card and Jamie gave me some shot glasses. Apparently she was nervous about giving them to me in front of the fam. LOLZ. And then we drank a little at some bars, which I sort of remember. I do remember watching Michael Phelps work some magic in the pool. He's a hottie, right Keena? When we finished drinking at the bar, we sat on the street and waited for Jeff to get us. As I've said before, when you're drunk, everyone is your best friend. So we made some new friends. Some boys invited us to a party, some other boys sang Sweet Caroline to us (we responded with BUM BUM BUM), and some woman told us men sucked. We said "Oh?". So Jeff got us, and I slurred my words the whole way home. Or at least it seemed that way. When we got home, we thought "hey, let's drink some more...and while we're drinking some more, Don't Break The Ice would be wonderful". So that was fun. Then we passed out, then we woke up with hangovers and drank massive amounts of (eggnog) coffee, ate pancakes, and then we played on the swingset. It was definitely a birthday to (try to) remember.



I WANT TO BE A PART OF IT, NEW YORK
AKA the secret squirrel trip.
OMG. Amazing. I rode on a bus. Then I rode on another bus with my sistah-girl (thank you Nick and Norah for expanding my vocab enough so that I can talk like an even bigger douche). Speaking of talking like douches, that's pretty much what Kayleigh and I did on the bus. With conversations such as this one...
Me: I would like to touch him...where the figs lie.
Kay: Or you could tell him how the winds sigh.
Me: Or we could wander down where the sins cry.
For those of you not as cool as me, it's from Spring Awakening. Kayleigh and I like to be assholes. So we get there (30 min behind schedule, naturally...apparently it was the first time the driver's been late in YEARS, mainly because the double curse was on the bus...we apologize). So we rode the Subway to our hotel (1 block away, v. convenient), showered (we were kinda funky), and ate some food. So then we go get our tickets, and we walk by the theater, and it's like "oh hai Gerard Canonico (one of the leads). I made eye contact with him. He was smoking and talking on his cell phone. Then we sat in Rockefeller Center to kill time, and we tried to find each other's look alikes (or, as we play the game, not-at-all alikes). For example, in this wonderful picture where my eyes look fake, you will see Kayleigh's look alike peeking over my shoulder.

SPRING AWAKENING!!!!!!!!
So we go and get in line to take our seats, and once again it's like "oh hai Gerard Canonico", smoking again.
OMG, I will never sit anywhere again. The cast comes on and Gerard takes the seat next to me. I wanted to be like "I swear I'm not stalking you". Blake sits in front of me and I keep staring at his neck, and fighting the urge to touch his hair.
The new leads are wonderful (Hunter Parrish asdfkjlkdnfdi...I'm in love), and I actually really like the new cast. The house was pretty full (good news), and the audience was completely disrespectful during the beating scene. Its. Not. Funny. Don't. Laugh. Anyway, it felt like I was really part of the action for Bitch of Living and Touch Me in particular. So beautiful. At intermission, Kayleigh and I decide to split a beer. Then we realize "Hmm, we can't bring this back to our seat", so we're chugging a beer by the lockers. So then I was worried I would smell like beer, so I pop a piece of gum. We go back to our seats, the cast comes back, Blake sits next to me, and I immediately freeze. I was too nervous to even chew my gum. And I was worried that my feet smelled or something. But omg, his harmonies during The Guilty Ones (he only sings when everyone else does) were beautiful. I've never heard him during that song before because he blends in with the rest of the cast. That kid has the most beautiful voice ever. I wanted to cry, or hug him, or something embarrassing. So then he leaves the chair and I'm like "no come back", but the 2nd act was perfect. Left Behind in particular was beautiful. I've never been in a position to see the cast's faces during that scene before, and it broke my heart. And Blake kept crying after and I wanted to hug him. So the show ended, unfortunately, we get a good spot at the stage door, and I get ready. The cast was so sweet as usual. And I got my picture. Blake was like, rubbing my back. Nice. I'll put it at the end.

DID I MENTION I'M 21?
So we head down to the East Village (love), and over to Jesse Malin's bar, and we walk in, and I hear Spoon and I'm lovin' it, and the first person I see is....JESSE FREAKING MALIN. So cool. But I pretty much act like he's not there, order a rum and coke (or, rum), and head for the back. I hear Rilo Kiley and I get excited, and I say to Kayleigh "the music is good" and she agrees, and then I think "of course it is. one of my favorite singers is djing". So we get drunk and decided to go.
We walk down St. Marks (more love), meet some "models" (drag queens), go to the subway, take douchey pictures, and some guy tried to steal my camera, but I wouldn't let him. Bitch. So then we go back to the hotel and pass out.

THREE HOURS LATER
Up and at 'em. We get in line for Hair tickets, wait 7 hours, make some new friends, eat some granola bars, pet some dogs, play some cards...it was a hoot. Then to avoid walking, we decide to take the Staten Island Ferry. Finally, I get to see the Statue of Liberty. We took a picture of some girl with the "Brooklyn Bridge" (aka, not the Brooklyn Bridge, but whatevs). So then we decide to get on the subway, find some food near the Delacorte, and find the best way out of Central Park so we can leave the show quickly. Let me just mention before I begin the next section thingy that it was beautiful when we left Lower Manhattan.


LET IT RAIN (or not)
We walk out of the 81st St. station. Pouring. Massive. Fucking. Downpour. And of course I was packing light, so I have no rain coat, and I'm wearing a white shirt and flip flops. Convenient. So we wander, trying to find food, obviously to no avail. So by now, I look like I just took a shower. Kayleigh goes "fuckin fuckin cheeseburger, let's just go back to times square and eat there", so I get back on the subway and take it to 50th.


SORRY, BABE, I DIDN'T MEAN IT
So I'm wet, cold, hungry, tired, and all around miserable, not mention my shirt is see-through, my hair is a disaster, mascara is running down my face, my shoes are wet, and oh yeah, i just stepped in a huge puddle. So we're standing at 49th and 8th, one block away from our precious destination, and I say to Kayleigh "fucking people with umbrellas". Then I look down to check the damage to my feet, and next to me, I see a pair of black high top Converse, then skinny jeans, and a messenger bag, and I don't even have to look at the person's face to realize I'm standing next to Blake Daniel, and he has an umbrella. So I grab Kayleigh's hand, and she goes "I know" and I'm like "naturally", hoping we'll lose him, but no, he walks down 49th. But that's where his theater is, so I'm thinking he's just going to work . NO, he keeps walking. So I try to be relaxed about it and not acknowledge him. So I'm falling out of my shoes and I look at Kayleigh and go "apparently flip flops don't make good rain shoes", and he hears and turns around, and then I trip. I didn't fall, but it was embarrassing. Hopefully he won't remember this.

So the long and the short of it is that Hair got rained out, but the cast sang Aquarius for us over the loudspeaker. And Jon Groff goes "I love you!" and I think "I love you too, Jon Groff". He is seriously the sweetest person I've ever met.

So anyway, the trip was amazing. I want to move there like now. I'm ready. I'm also super proud of myself for planning an entire trip by myself. I also adore Kayleigh. I know to the naked eye it seems like we bicker sometimes, but I couldn't ask for a better friend or roommate. I'm stoked for senior year.

Anyway, because I promised...

<3 He's touching my hair.


No comments: